Frequently Asked Questions

What types of legal matters does The Law Office of Casey Coats handle?

We handle all types of criminal and traffic charges, real estate law, business law, personal estate planning, and more.

Does The Law Office of Casey Coats offer free consultations?

Yes. Contact us today at (314) 644-0602 or stop by our office at 2601 S. Hanley Rd. Brentwood, MO 63144 for a free consultation or to learn more about our lawyers or legal services.

Should I hire an attorney for my traffic tickets?

Yes. Most traffic violations are points violations, meaning points go on your driving record. Accumulating too many points can lead to driver’s license suspension, and even one conviction can lead to increased auto insurance costs. By hiring a traffic law attorney to negotiate a plea agreement on your case you can reduce or eliminate costly points on your driver’s license which can ultimately lead to the suspension of your driver’s license.

Do states share information about traffic ticket convictions?

The vast majority of states do share information about your driver license convictions. This means if you receive traffic convictions, or are suspended, in one state this information will be shared with all states participating in interstate compact. As the date of this posting the only states that do not share driver license information are Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, & Wisconsin.

Can DWIs be expunged (removed) from my driving record?

Typically in Missouri a 1st DWI may be expunged after a period of 10 years if you do not receive further DWIs through a court process with a Missouri traffic attorney. The Court must be Petitioned in order to request a DWI be expunged (removed) from your Missouri driver record. If you receive more than 1 DWI then the DWIs cannot generally be removed from your Missouri driver license record.

What happens if I refuse to take the chemical test (refuse to blow) after being arrested for DWI?

Missouri’s implied consent law requires a driver to submit to a chemical test when requested by a law enforcement officer. If the driver refuses (refused to blow), the arresting officer will make note of this and take possession of your driver’s license and issue a 15 day permit. After this, you will not be allowed to drive unless you request a stay from the court and it is granted.

If the court upholds the DUI/DWI arrest, any time remaining on the sentence will be served and your driver’s license will be suspended for one year. If the arrest is overturned, your driver’s license will be returned.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *